The great debate: do breast implants really need to be replaced every ten years? This is a common question amongst women both at their initial breast augmentation consultation
as well as a few years into having their implants. While breast implants do not have an expiration date, they are not considered a lifetime device.
There is no real need to undergo a breast implant revision surgery so long as your implant is intact and you are not experiencing any complications. Mirroring this sentiment,
Dr. Jonov advises, there is no reason to replace your saline implants at ten years of age if you are happy with your results.
Why Undergo Breast Implant Revision?
Why then, are women advised to replace their implants? Women may need to have breast implant revision surgery due to:
- Capsular contracture: Which, as Dr. Jonov explains, is caused by scar tissue squeezing your implant. He continues the best approach would be to undergo a capsulectomies (removal
of scar tissue) and implant replacement.
- Aging and potential weakening of the implant: It is believed that the likelihood of rupture increases with each year.
- Implant rupture or leakage
- Folding or wrinkling of the implant
During revision surgery, Dr. Jonov is able to alter both the size and shape of your breasts. Thus, a woman may also choose to have her implants replaced for a variety of aesthetic reasons including:
- Unsatisfactory placement of the implant
- Desire to improve or rejuvenate your breast’s appearance
- Lifestyle changes: Often, a woman’s ideal bust line changes over time
- Exchange saline implants for silicone or vice-versa
In addition, some women feel they can benefit from advancements in implant technology. And, of course, there are women who choose to be proactive and replace their implants in hopes of avoiding any complications.
How Do You Know If and When to Replace Your Breast Implants?
As with all things, it is important to pay attention to your body’ get regular breast exams, do self-exams, and schedule yearly mammograms. If you are concerned or find yourself interested in breast implant revision surgery, your next step would be to
schedule a consultation with a cosmetic surgeon so that you can be examined and your options discussed, says Dr. Jonov.
Dr. Jonov is a cosmetic surgeon who specializes in plastic surgeries of the face, breast, and body at Seattle Plastic Surgery.