Injections are a scary thing for many people, even those who are otherwise interested in the cosmetic benefits they may provide. Products like Juvederm and Restylane can effectively restore facial volume and reduce wrinkles, but are these treatments comfortable?
Fortunately the answer is yes, thanks to anesthetics. Today, many non-surgical facial procedures can be done with little or no discomfort, thanks to local anesthetics that numb one or more areas of the face beforehand.
Lidocaine blocks pain signals, reduces swelling
Just as your dentist uses lidocaine as as a quick and simple way to numb the mouth prior to dental work, cosmetic surgeons use it as local anesthetic for injections of dermal filler. It blocks the pain signal sent by the nerve endings on your skin. You quickly feel the anesthetic taking effect and numbness kicks in.
Benefits of Lidocaine for Wrinkle Filler Injections
- Reduces or eliminates discomfort during injections into sensitive facial tissue
- Minimizes tissue swelling
- Allows your doctor to better sculpt and correct targeted areas of the face
- Allows you, the patient, to relax during the procedure
- With longer procedures â?? filling in the cheek area, for instance â?? it eliminates the need for general anesthesia
Related links about Lidocaine and Wrinkle fillers